Saturday, July 30, 2016

Ink and BoneInk and Bone by Lisa Unger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a rollercoaster ride that crashed for me. There was just simply too many subplots and viewpoints during the ending that my tired brain couldn't keep up with, so I honestly had no idea what was going on, and some of the "before-the-climax" scene were very unnecessary. I didn't know what's going on, no matter how much Jones explained what happened, and I wish that the author could have made this clearer.

So let's go to the beginning; in the prologue I already noticed that there was a full page of colon's and semicolons and run on sentences, one sentence for the whole page. Then I flip to the next chapter and it's written in italics. At that point my eyes started hurting, and I'm glad that this format didn't last throughout the book.

I can't deny it, Unger really has a solid writing style and knows what she's doing. Maybe this book just wasn't for me, as I'm quite the newbie to the thriller genre (which incidentally I'm always very picky about.) The beginning for very slow, there was no immediate hook for me, although the concept was very intriguing in my opinion. I was curious, but not enough to be compelled to pick it up at will. This book took me two days to finish which is unusual for someone who likes to read books in one sitting.

Some aspects of the relationship were unrealistic, and there was a cliche pattern between some of the marriages that were central to the plot. I did see some realistic elements as well, but the ending caught me off guard and being way too neat and tied into a bow. I just really think that it's impossible to change yourself in that short period of time. (view spoiler)

The part that I absolutely did love reading about was the tattoo connection between Finley and Rainer, because that's just really interesting to me. I really appreciated that Finley wasn't your average female YA character. No, she was a psychic with pink stripes of hair and most of her skin covered in awesome tattoos who rode a motorcycle. She also grieved by displaying anger and was a very independent human being which I highly appreciated how unique her situation is-living with her grandma, trying to figure out her gift, seeing confusing/annoying visions, etc...

I do recognize that I'm in the minority here, but I know that I'll be looking somewhere else to fill that thriller hole in my reading life.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment