Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
My rating: 1 of 5 stars
**Spoiler Alert**
What's he's really saying is, I can't kill an innocent man. I'm not even sure if I can kill the guilty one, though I mean to try.


This book wasn't labelled like what I though it "should be." What I expected it to be, judging by some of my friend's reviews on here and the synopsis. It was a struggle to go through this book and not want to hurl it against the wall. The main character takes a Firebird to go to some alternative universes to find her supposed father's killer aka Paul. Of course, she can't do that alone because she doesn't have experience in the scientific field, so Theo is forced to go along with her, even though he warned her, begged her not to. That premise really caught my eye, because I thought that this might be a sci-fi murder mystery. Oh how wrong I was. This is a love story was supposed to be a sci-fi; and I wasn't expected it here. It was so unnecessary, especially the love triangle between Theo and Paul.

In fact when I read that quote ^ on page 27, I knew that at least for me the story was over before it barely started. It was going to be one of those YA tropes where the "good girl" just will not even try to do what she intended, instead dances around the goal at hand and gets distracted with other prospects. That's exactly the track that the story went, and frankly I was so disappointed in the book and in myself that I just didn't DNF it.


Soon, she is swept into an epic love affair as dangerous as it is irresistible.


And here's just a reason to prove my ignorance of /not/ reading the back flap. If I would have read that one sentence, it would have broke the choice of buying it. After a while of reading YA romances, you get to being really picky in your choices. My current motto in my reading life currently is: "Life is too short to read bad book."

Marguerite (which btw that name annoyed me) is a daughter of who brilliant scientists, but she is the only one with the use of her artistic brain. Except that as a character she isn't unique, she isn't different. In fact, throughout the book and the emotional pendulum that Marguerite was on, bugged me. She went back and forth and back and forth. I wanted to shout at her stupid, immature, reckless self to decide on one thing, one goal, one person and just go with it. (But no, the plotline has to get more complicated and her with the love triangle-square?) She really had no motto, her thing was to "go with the flow" and have other people like Theo and her other family pick up the mess that she made.

In short, I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially to sci-fi lover, because this book is easy to see through. If you don't like the first one, definitively don't try to jump to the next one, I know that I won't because I just simply didn't care. I understand that it may be a cover buy for a lot of people-the cover was probably the best thing about this whole entire book-, but I would suggest that you do your research before you get it, and /not/ make a mistake like I did, if indeed it's not for you.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment